The Museum Kopitiam building in Kota Kinabalu was once known as the Chung Nam Printing Press, the first printing press for the then Jesselton’s Api Siang Pau newspaper. In fact, the building housing the Museum Kopitiam was built in 1954 and was one of the first concrete structures that rose from the ashes of Jesselton’s WWII bombing.

It started out as a detached printing premise, and was subsequently integrated into a row of shophouses that rose along the same stretch. Affectionately known as ‘Australia Place’ – a reference to the heroic Australian troops who camped on its grounds during WWII – the Museum Kopitiam today remain as one of the historical tourist attractions along KK city’s Heritage Trail.